Just 30 minutes away from Nagoya station, you can easily escape to the alleys of quaint historic Inuyama castle town, followed by the silent beauty of Inuyama Castle. Originally built in 1469 and strengthen later in 1537 by Oda Nobuyasu, an uncle of famous Oda Nobunaga, the castle remains to be one of the only twelve original ones and carries one of the oldest of existing Tenshu(donjon) in Japan.
The castle is 19m high and it is a beautiful example of dark wooden Momoyama period architecture. While enjoying its unique and well-preserved interior on each floor, you might forget castle’s countless steer stairs that take you to the top level floor. It’s worth!!
Outstanding scenery of…
- pink tint of Sakura trees in Spring,
- myriad green nature in Summer,
- red savor of Momiji trees in Autumn,
- snow white blanket in Winter time and
panoramic view of the emerald blue Kiso river valley with Inuyama castle town throughout the year, will make you feel just fully rewarded.
And still, there are several interesting sides to be explored!!
- ‘A peach on the turtle shell’ object, never let the evil spirits in Check the roof!!
- There is a wooden space standing out of the stonewall called “Ishi-otoshi”, from where stones were thrown against the approaching enemies. We have to defend the castle!!
- Last but not least, to be safe, an extra building so called “Tsuke-yagura” was added to Tenshu, to smartly attack enemies from the hidden side.
Finally, don’t forget to drop by Sankou-Inari Shrine, especially if you are looking for a destiny encounter and get some typical Gohei-mochi(rice cake) or super colorful Fruit parfait to make your trip perfect!!
Hours: 9:00 to 17:00 (entry until 16:30)
Adult: 550 yen
Children: 110 yen
Address: Oji, Inuyama Ojikitakoken 65-2 484-0082
Airport: Chubu Centrair International Airport
December 29 to 31
From Nagoya Station, take the Meitetsu Line to either Inuyama Station or Inuyama-Yuen Station. The castle is a 15-minutes walk from the station.